Correct crocheting techniques start with how to hold hook and yarn correctly so that you're comfortable with them while working on a project. Let's start with holding the hook. There are 2 ways to hold your hook:
- Hold it as though you were holding a pencil - position and apply a light grip on the hook
- Hold it the same way as you would hold a spoon when mixing something dense.
As for the yarn, a basic technique is to make a slip knot, attaching the yarn to your hook. Three simple steps to tie the slip knot:
- Loop the yarn around your left index finger
- Let the yarn slip from your finger, holding the loop between your thumb and index finger,
- With the hook held by your right hand, draw the loop up and around the hook.
- Then pull each of the ends gently in opposite directions. This will tighten the knot and make it smaller.
And, more important of all, keep on Practice!
The technique of feeding yarn into your work require a certain amount of practice. With your left hand, pick up the yarn, and with the palm of your left hand facing up, thread the yarn through the fingers. Practice holding the yarn so that it "flows" naturally through your fingers. Move your index finger up and down to increase or decrease the tightness of the yarn. As you progress, you will feel a rhythm that works best for you, making the movement more and more natural and effortless.
Catching the Yarn Technique
This technique is known as a yarn over (abbreviation: yo). Your index finger plays a crucial role in yarn over movements. Each time you catch the hook, you guide the yarn by moving your index finger up and down. To do a yarn over:
- Pass the hook under and over the yarn from back to front,
- If you're having problems wrapping the yarn around all your fingers: instead of wrapping the yarn, just let it flow behind your index finger, in front of your middle and ring fingers and back behind your little finger.
Handmade Crocheted Baby Girls Afghan Pink Blue Lavender Pearl Yarn Blanket 395
Time Remaining: 43m
Buy It Now for only: $29.99
5 Vintage Hand Crocheted Kitchen Pot Holders Hot Pads Multi Color Yarn Oven Mitt
Time Remaining: 1h 25m
Buy It Now for only: $12.50
SILK FINGERING WEIGHT DUPIONI SILK YARN 5 SKEIN 500 GRAM CROCHET WEAVE KNIT YARN
Time Remaining: 3h 30m
Buy It Now for only: $50.00
450g Skeins Soft Aloes Fiber Cotton baby crochet yarnFingering200gblue
Time Remaining: 3h 38m
Buy It Now for only: $14.99
850g Skeins Soft Smooth Natural Silk Flax crocheting baby yarn400gSapphireblue
Time Remaining: 4h 5m
Buy It Now for only: $31.99
450g Skeins Soft Aloes Fiber Cotton baby crochet yarnFingering200glakeblue
Time Remaining: 4h 8m
Buy It Now for only: $14.99
Pink HOODED BLANKET Baby CROCHET KIT NEW
Time Remaining: 7h 33m
Buy It Now for only: $22.91
FABULOUS VINTAGE PUSS N BOOTS YARN DOLL CRAFT KIT YOU MAKE IN A JIFFY
Time Remaining: 8h 16m
Buy It Now for only: $12.00
Colorful Hand Crochet Afghan Almost complete Pieces to complete included
Time Remaining: 8h 51m
Buy It Now for only: $24.99
2 VtgCrochet Thread Doll Kits11 1 2 Fashion Doll Crochet VictTeaDress Ptn MIP
Time Remaining: 9h 31m
Buy It Now for only: $23.40
HOW TO CROCHET KIT BOOKS MANY STITCHES 4 SETS OF NEEDLES ALL SIZES INFORMATIVE
Time Remaining: 10h 6m
The Bagsmith Clutch Purse Kit Knit or Crochet NEW
Time Remaining: 10h 46m
Buy It Now for only: $30.00